Wednesday, July 14, 2010

What do Caves, Cannons, and Crinolines Have to do With Each Other?

Title: Caves, Cannons and Crinolines


Written by: Beverly Stowe McClure

Ages: 12 and up

Publisher: Twilight Times Books

ISBN: 1-60619-112-8

Published: September 2009

Soft cover: 153 pages

Price: $16.95

The year 1863 finds outspoken, 14-year-old, Lizzie Stamford at a crossroads of what her parents believe to be acceptable behavior for a young lady, and secret desire to join the Confederate Army disguised as a boy. Her two brothers, Willie and Joseph willingly joined the Confederacy to defend Vicksburg from the Yankees and Lizzie longs to be part of the glory. Her blind courage brings her into the midst of a battleground at nighttime. Much to her dismay war is not what she believed it to be. The horrific acts of violence overwhelm her and she runs away as quickly as she arrived.

Her emotions and beliefs that all Yankees are evil is put to the test when an unexpected encounter with a Yankee soldier has her doubting her belief system. Will Lizzie come to terms of the ever changing world and circumstances which surround her? And what is to become of her beloved brothers and the city of Vicksburg?

McClure balances the emotions of the Confederate and Yankee characters with such in-depth feeling the reader will find themselves switching sides throughout the perilous journey of Lizzie Stamford and her family, and their quest to reclaim Vicksburg.

To learn more about Beverly Stowe McClure visit: http://beverlystowemcclure.wordpress.com/

20 comments:

  1. Morning, Donna. Thanks for posting your wonderful review. Lizzie and Nat thank you too.

    Have a good day.

    Cybermom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cybermom:

    My pleasure! I've always enjoyed historical fiction and love it even more after reading Caves, Cannons, and Crinolines.

    Warmest regards,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was never interested in history when I was in school. Maybe if I'd had more books like this one to read growing up, I might have paid more attention. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonjour mon amie-Buenos dias mi amiga- Good morning my friend,

    What a delightful review! Hey, Beverly I am wishing you the very best. I read your bio, you are such an interesting person. Thanks for sharing your talents , have a wonderful day.
    Nicole Weaver
    http:www.authorsden.com/nicoleweaver

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Donna. It won't be long until your historical story is out. Can't wait to read it.

    When I was in school I hated history, madcap. It was so boring. Dates,explorers, battles. Who cared? As an adult I discovered these were "real" people who lived and loved and fought for their beliefs. Now, I'm hooked. :)

    Aw, you're too sweet, Nicole. Thanks. Have a great day yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, this is an intriguing review, Donna. Makes me even more eager to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a compelling read!

    My daughter is 12 and she loves Beverly's books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like another excellent McClure book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great story line. I can't wait to read it. I love Civil war history and am writing about it myself. Great book review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you one and all for stopping by today and reading my review of Caves, Cannons, and Crinolines. Beverly is truly gifted!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by, Kristi.

    Beth, Donna does awesome reviews, doesn't she. She has a talent for saying just the right words.

    Hi, Mayra. I'm so glad your daughter likes my books. It's always nice for adults to enjoy them, but young people who read them are extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Vivian. I appreciate your support. You're the best.

    That's super, Terri. What part of the Civil War are you writing about? I have a whole library of CW books, fiction and non fiction.

    You're making me blush, Cyberdaughter. I appreciate your support too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks fascinating! I definate addition to my collection. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kathie. Thanks. I hope you enjoy the novel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Donna,
    Thanks for sharing this great book!

    Margo
    http://margodill.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I appreciate your support, Diane. You're always there. :)

    Donna does wonderful reviews, doesn't she, Margo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What I like so much about this book is how it pulls you right into Lizzie's world and brings the Civil War to life in a very personal way. Excellent review, Donna! Beverly, this is one of my new favorites!

    Nancy, from Realms of Thought…

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you, Nancy. I'm glad you like it. Your opinion is so important to me. I'm excited for you too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank for you taking the time out to visit with me and to learn about my writing career.

Please be sure to leave your blog address so I can reciprocate.

I look forward to visiting you too.