Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Writer's Life with Author Jewel Kats

Welcome to Day 2 of the virtual tour for my new book Reena's Bollywood Dream.

Many people are interested in the way writers write, so let me tell you how I do it. Coffee fuels my creativity. Seriously. If I’m writing there is always, always, always a coffee cup nearby. Even if I’m not sipping on it, just its aroma soothes my soul. Who says all security blankets look alike?


As for my writing habits, my brain goes into overdrive in Starbucks. Don’t be mistaken. This is a good thing! I don’t know if it’s the background music, chaotic customers, or the sound of a ringing cash register, but I seem to work best there. And, no, for the record I have not been paid to say that. It just happens to be the truth. During the course of writing a work, I tend to spend about fifteen hours at my favorite Starbucks location. During the summer, you’ll find me on their quaint patio and during the winter you’ll find me soaking up the afternoon sun through their large windows. The best part is, I’m such a regular that the staff even knows my order! Yes, just like the television show, “Cheers.”

Sometimes, you’ll catch me writing at home. Like now! Case in point: My 5’5” legs are crossed and a laptop rests in my lap. I’m lounging back into my black leather sofa, and my shih tzu, Miss Dolly, snoozes softly by my side. The writing ideas don’t come as quick, but they arrive nonetheless. Which in an author’s world they’re always welcome guests!

You may be interested to know that my appearance bares all the other eccentricities of a stereotypical writer, too. You’ll often catch me in funky glasses. Imagine: Pink and red. I’ve got a collection of hippy-esque ethnic style bags. I tend to dress more or less to my artistic fancy; rather than a designer’s eye. In my case, bad Hollywood movies even portray me “the writer” dead on. LOL.

When it comes to the actual nitty-gritty of writing, I don’t write by the seat of my pants. I plot, plot, and p-l-o-t. I know every scene before it happens. That way, I can incorporate unexpected turns and foreshadow in just the right places. At the beginning of a work, I pull out a sketch pad and write down the main character’s name. From there, I jot down any words or ideas that are associated with him or her. Somehow, someway, a story forms from there. I know it sounds weird, but believe me it does happen. Thank goodness for that!

Find out more about me and my book at the National Writing for Children Center http://www.writingforchildrencenter.com/, where the book is showcased all this month.


Follow Day 3 of my tour tomorrow at http://www.melangeofcultures.wordpress.com/. Leave a comment every day of my tour and your name will automatically be entered to win a Gift Box Bundle - filled with books and other goodies - at the end of the month, provided by the National Writing for Children Center http://www.writingforchildrencenter.com/.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Best wishes,
Donna M. McDine
Award-winning Children's Author
The Golden Pathway ~ August 2010 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc.
http://www.guardianangelpublishing.com/

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jewel:

    It's a pleasure to host you today. You write such vivid description of your writing style that you've pulled me right into your world.

    Keep up the great work.

    Best wishes,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coffee always gets the brain going - I agree!

    Best wishes,
    Nicole
    Tribute Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book.

    The fact that the main character wants to be a Bollywood actress makes it a bit different and fun, yet it is about a very serious subject.

    ReplyDelete

Thank for you taking the time out to visit with me and to learn about my writing career.

Please be sure to leave your blog address so I can reciprocate.

I look forward to visiting you too.