The Importance of a Teacher's Guide for your Children’s BookBy Donna McDine
After I signed the book contract for The Golden Pathway I took the time out to discuss with teachers what sparks their interest in children’s books for their classrooms beyond what the school provides. Many times over I heard they are under strict confinements with their curriculum and books need to fit into their daily teachings. I then took to task to research state curriculum guidelines and learned the creation of an educator’s guide for The Golden Pathway needed to be a comprehensive across the curriculum guide. After meeting homeschool specialist, Amy O’Quinn through the Working Writer’s Club I approached Amy about hiring her to write a teacher's guide for The Golden Pathway. The end result was beyond my expectations!
The teacher’s guide is a teaching tool for English, Social Studies, Math, Science, and Art teachers, as well as for Homeschooling families. Activities include:
- Language Arts: Writing/Vocabulary
- Integrated Language Arts/Social Studies: Topical Study/Presentation Boards
- Social Studies: Timeline, Mapping and Geography
- Math: Map Work Mathematics, Calculations, Time, Recipe Math, Quilt Math
- Science: Astronomy, Skin, Plants and Crops, Alcoholism, Five Senses
- Role Playing, Disguises and Escape/Safe Houses
- Toys and Games of the 19th Century: Make a Rag Doll, Make a Nettie Doll, Information on Games/Toys
- Songs of Slavery and the Underground Railroad: Background Information and Lyrics
- More Fun Art Projects, Activities, and Resources: Coloring Sheets, Printables, Juneteenth, Make A Tin Can Lantern
As writers many of us can and do create our own teacher’s guides, but for myself I wanted someone with the expertise of being in the trenches of teaching to formulate The Golden Pathway guide. By outsourcing this project, it has freed me to up to work on new manuscripts, marketing, and client work.
Details of my author school visit workshops, visit: http://thegoldenpathway.blogspot.com/2012/03/author-school-visits-bardonia.html.
To learn more about my writing career or to order an autographed copy of The Golden Pathway visit, www.donnamcdine.com. Gift with purchase: The Golden Pathway Educator’s Guide.
Additional ways to order The Golden Pathway:
Guardian Angel Publishing: http://guardianangelpublishing.com/pathway.htmAmazon: http://www.amazon.com/The-Golden-Pathway-Donna-McDine/dp/1616330813/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331737065&sr=1-1
Visit with A to Z Challenge bloggers - http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/
Thank you for visiting,
Donna M. McDine
Award-winning Children's Author
The Golden Pathway ~ August 2010 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc.
http://guardianangelpublishing.com/pathway.htm ~ Literary Classics Silver Award and Seal of Approval Recipient and Dan Poynter's Global e-Book Awards Finalist