Tuesday, April 14, 2015

L is for Love ~ A to Z 2015 Challenge



In celebration of Literacy, I'm chatting about a cause near and dear to my heart...

Numerous studies from both government and the private sector provide clear evidence that early reading skills are an investment in a child's future. Early reading skill development dramatically affects the quality of life for children as they grow into adulthood. Sadly, a recent article by Carole Dickerson on the Journal Standard website quoted a local social worker who stated that many of the parents in the homes she visits do not own a single children's book.  

This is quite shocking to me and in response, I am announcing a children's book drive within my county to support the Rockland County Department of Social Services. I encourage other authors of children's books to do the same or if you have gentle used children's books to please donate to the book drive.

I invite those interested in donating to contact me directly at donna@donnamcdine.com.


In my opinion, "the bare essence of learning to read opens up the world of exploration to a child. Across the curriculum it is imperative children grow in their reading capability so success in their classes can be had. Without the fundamentals it is very difficult to progress successfully."

"I believe in ‘paying it forward.' That one book donation may be all it takes to make a difference in a child’s life. By encouraging the love of reading in our young muses their look of wonder as they bubble with excitement on their next reading journey swells my heart."

I urge you to join me in my quest to ignite curiosity in children through reading by donating to the Rockland County Department of Social Services book drive.

A big shout out goes to... Beverly Stowe McClureMelissa AbramovitzPenelope Anne ColeEmma GloverSharon Stanley, Terri Martin, Denise Stanley, L. Diane Wolfe and Barbara Keahon for their generous donations! Thanks ladies...we are off to a terrific start! 

Deadline for donations April 30, 2015. 

I look forward to hearing from you!

Thank you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Best wishes,
Donna M. McDine
Multi Award-winning Children's Author

Ignite curiosity in your child through reading!

Connect with

A Sandy Grave ~ January 2014 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ 2014 Purple Dragonfly 1st Place Picture Books 6+, Story Monster Approved, Beach Book Festival Honorable Mention 2014, Reader's Favorite Five Star Review

Powder Monkey ~ May 2013 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ Story Monster Approved and Reader's Favorite Five Star Review

Hockey Agony ~ January 2013 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ New England Book Festival Honorable Mention 2014, Story Monster Approved and Reader's Favorite Five Star Review

The Golden Pathway ~ August 2010 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ Literary Classics Silver Award and Seal of Approval, Readers Favorite 2012 International Book Awards Honorable Mention and Dan Poynter's Global e-Book Awards Finalist

20 comments:

  1. Lovely post Donna, most enjoyable to read.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love is perfect for L. So is Literacy. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a good cause. Dropping in from the A to Z I have given your blog a shout out from my letter L today https://rosieamber.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your book drive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Donna,
    Stopping by on the a to z blog challenge. I love your post. I've done a number of book drives at the Christian school where I work. The kids are so willing to share the gently loved books they've outgrown. This year they went to families who came to the soup kitchen. Last year's books started a library at the women's shelter.
    Have fun a to z-ing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing! Congratulations on your well needed book drives!

      Delete
  6. I'm happy to hear the book drive is doing well. I hope you have many more donations before the end of April. Can't you just see the children's little faces when they hold maybe their first book in their hands. What a lovely sight that will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beverly! Looking forward to making the delivery!

      Delete
  7. I've been so wrapped up in the AtoZ and this book launch that I haven't donated yet. Will be in touch. I'd also love it if you'd join @wewrite4U in the fall. It only requires tweeting about literacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch Lee, much appreciated! I will contact you about @wewrite4U. Hope your book launch is going well!

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday!
    I will try to get a book in the mail soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's great you're involved in this. My community library holds a book drive in May every year. I'm committed in funds to that one. Since I've never published any of my children's books, I have nothing at this time to offer... except, Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing info about this issue.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  11. How awesome about the book drive!! Hope to hear how it went!

    ReplyDelete

Thank for you taking the time out to visit with me and to learn about my writing career.

Please be sure to leave your blog address so I can reciprocate.

I look forward to visiting you too.