Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Write What Inspires You Feature of the Week: Children's Author, Maggie Grinnell


Welcome to this week's edition of Feature of the Week. 

Today, I'm pleased to host children's author, 
Maggie Grinnell as she presents her article...

WRITING WITHIN
By
Maggie Grinnell

Even though I had a wild imagination growing up, I didn’t dream of becoming a writer. I wanted to help animals so I thought I would be a vet. But that dream faded when I found out part of the job would have me deciding to put sick animals out of their misery.
When high school came around, I wanted to do something with my imagination and my detective brain of wanting to know who, what, why, where and how. So I studied journalism. I was too shy to speak in front of a camera or in front of people. So my 2nd option was to be a teacher but my shyness also stopped that from happening.
In college, I majored in English. Then is when I wrote my 1st short story and really loved the written word and wanted to write more.
I loved suspense and read every book by Dean Koontz and Mary Higgins Clark I could. I also loved the detective side of suspense, of finding clues. So I read Nancy Drew mysteries. 
My 1st short story that I wrote, I didn’t think it was that good so I tossed it away somewhere. 10 years later, that story never left me. So I rewrote it and it became published.
I continued writing suspense stories but I wasn’t satisfied. I heard of writers having a “writer’s voice.” I wanted to find my “voice”.
One day, I heard something inside me say “what do you feel inside when you write?” I thought I feel happy, fulfilled and like a little kid. So I went into my imagination and started writing children stories. I finally felt connected to my writing and was proud of the words I wrote. I have found ‘my voice.’

Maggie's books:




About Maggie: I didn’t know I wanted to be a writer when I was young. When I finally fell in love with the written word, I had already written my first book. I have since written three children’s picture books and two small books of poetry. 

To learn more about Maggie and her work, visit her at www.maggiegrinnell.com

Maggie thanks for guest blogging today! I too enjoyed the Nancy Drew mysteries and still have my set of books. 

Continue to be safe and well! 



Interested in staying connected beyond the Internet? Please feel free to opt-in to my Write What Inspires You Newsletter! I promise not to fill your email inbox, for I send out my emails no more than 1-2 times per month.

Opt-in today to the Write What Inspires You! Newsletter and join parents, teachers, and colleagues who receive Donna’s newsletter and receive two FREE e-Books: “The Story Behind the Books” and “Marketing Tips”

#maggiegrinnell
#writewhatinspiresyou
#donnamcdine
#isabellaandpenelope
#theketchupbottleandthetakeover
#davidandrustyspirateadventure
#picturebooks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Best wishes,
Donna M. McDine
Multi Award-winning Children's Author
Ignite curiosity in your child through reading!


Angel's Forever Home ~ March 2019 ~ Mascot Books ~ 2019 Purple Dragonfly Honorable Mention Picture Books Six and Older

Dee and Deb Off They Go Kindergarten First Day Jitters ~ December 2015 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ 2016 Purple Dragonfly Honorable Mention Picture Books Five and Under and Story Monster Approved

A Sandy Grave ~ January 2014 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ 2014 Purple Dragonfly 1st Place Picture Books 6+, Story Monster Approved, Beach Book Festival Honorable Mention 2014 and Reader's Favorite Five Star Review

Powder Monkey ~ May 2013 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ 2015 Purple Dragonfly Book Award Historical Fiction 1st Place, Story Monster Approved and Reader's Favorite Five Star Review

Hockey Agony ~ January 2013 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ 2015 Purple Dragonfly Book Award Honorable Mention Picture Books 6+, New England Book Festival Honorable Mention 2014, Story Monster Approved and Reader's Favorite Five Star Review

The Golden Pathway ~ August 2010 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ Literary Classics Silver Award and Seal of Approval, Readers Favorite 2012 International Book Awards Honorable Mention and Dan Poynter's Global e-Book Awards Finalist






3 comments:

  1. It was nice to read about your story, Maggie. Congratulations! Finding one's voice is a beautiful thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I enjoyed getting my words out to others. :)

      Delete
  2. Maggie, it was a true pleasure hosting you. Best wishes for your continued success.

    ReplyDelete

Thank for you taking the time out to visit with me and to learn about my writing career.

Please be sure to leave your blog address so I can reciprocate.

I look forward to visiting you too.