Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Write What Inspires You Interviews Children's Author, Joni Klein-Higger


I am delighted to share with you all my recent interview with fellow award-winning children's author, Joni Klein-Higger. The beauty of the internet is meeting so many people from every walk of life and my time with Joni was and continues to be quite enjoyable. Without further ado, my interview with Joni Klein-Higger.

Joni, we first met through Guardian Angel Publishing as fellow authors and have remained connected through cyberspace. I’m delighted to hear you continue onward with your writing and publishing journey. Well done my friend. Now on to our interview…

DMc: Do you hold a day job while continuing to follow your writing muse? If yes, what is your career beyond authorship? If not, how do you keep your day structured so you are productive?

Joni: Hi Donna! Thanks so much for having me on your blog today.

Several years ago I decided to “go for it” and become a full-time author, songwriter and musical theater playwright. I learned early on the importance of having a structured day when working from home. Each morning begins with some introspective “me” time, followed by a long walk with my pointer-lab-mix puppy, Zoey. I then grab a nutritious breakfast and get to work.

My workday starts with addressing emails. When that is complete, I focus on writing or revising either a manuscript, song or children’s musical, followed by a break here and there. When my creative juices for the day are complete, I zoom in on any necessary marketing and writing tasks that need to be completed.

Because I belong to three SCBWI writer critique groups, (keeps me on my toes!) I usually devote some time during the day to critique a manuscript or two.

If time allots, I try to learn more about my craft, whether it be reading mentor texts and educational writing blogs or watching videos pertaining to the book and music industries. I learned the hard way NOT to go on social media until the bulk of my work is done.

DMc: Please share the titles, genre, publisher and synopsis of each of your published books.

My most recent book is Barnyard Bubbe’s Hanukkah, which I co-wrote with Barbara Sharf, illustrated by Monica Gutierrez, (Kar-Ben/Lerner Publishing Group.) I’m overjoyed to say this rhyming, counting board book reached #1 on Amazon and was  included in the top ten holiday book recommendations in The Washington Post. It is the story of Barnyard Bubbe (Bubbe is the Yiddish for the word, “grandma,”) who lives on a farm, and on each night of Hanukkah, a mysterious present is left on her doorstep. My co-writer, Barbara Sharf, and I had a blast touring the country and Canada with our musical author presentation for this book. She played Barnyard Bubbe and I was Miss Joni, the farmhand. Yeehaw!

I am also happy to be one of your fellow “Angels” with several books and musicals published by Guardian Angel Publishing. Here are some of my GAP books:

Rainbow of Friendship, illustrated by Eileen Goldenberg. This rhyming picture book is the story of a red girl who moves from her red town to Rainbow Row City. It is there she discovers friendship comes in many colors, shapes and sizes. I’m happy to share this book won a Creative Child Magazine Book of the Year Award and was recommended by the Special Needs Book Review. Of all of my books, Rainbow of Friendship is the most dear to me, especially now with so much division going on in our country and the world.

Another one of my picture books published by Guardian Angel Publishing is I Have a Voice, co-written with Flora Zaken-Greenberg, Ph.D, illustrated by Eileen Goldenberg. Jamie is about to start kindergarten, but has a big problem…she is afraid to talk. I Have a Voice addresses selective mutism as well as shyness and the fear of speaking. This book was recommended by The Selective Mutism Foundation.

Coby Ryan Harris is Officially Fat, which I also co-wrote with Flora Zaken-Greenberg, Ph.D. (Guardian Angel Publishing,) is a middle grade novel about a smart, funny seventh-grade boy who overcomes the challenges of childhood obesity, bullying, girls, and divorce. Teen-friendly recipes are included along with healthy food tips and a discussion with a licensed psychologist. Coby Ryan Harris is Officially Fat won the Seal of Approval from LITERARY CLASSICS and won the GOLD CLC Award for Health/Self Esteem - Middle Grade.

And finally, Ten Tzedakah Pennies, Illustrated by Tovah Leff (Hachai Publishing.) This rhyming, counting Jewish board book is about a boy who has ten pennies to share, so he gives each member of his family a chance to do a good deed. The word “tzedakah” means “giving charity” in Hebrew.

I also have three children’s musicals published by Guardian Angel Publishing. Recycle, Red and Land of Lost Socks. These musicals have been performed by elementary schools, organizations and homeschooled children/families. You can learn more about them at my website: www.joniworld.com

DMc: What is your process in creating your characters? Do you create a profile outline or other technique?

Joni: My process for creating characters really depends on the type of story I am writing. For a short board book like Barnyard Bubbe’s Hanukkah, Barbara Sharf, my co-writer, and I envisioned a grandma who lived on a farm, so we combined a farmer who loved animals with a nurturing Jewish grandma who loved to cook. We used the structure of the song “The Twelve Days of Christmas,” to do this.

When I created Coby Ryan Harris is Officially Fat, I needed more character planning because it was a middle grade novel, and there were more details to keep track of throughout the story. As far as main characters go, my collaborator, Dr. Flora Zaken-Greenberg, asked me to create a story about an overweight teenage boy who, with the help of his brother, overcomes childhood obesity. Once my main character’s name and title were established, I knew Coby Ryan Harris needed to have a fun nature, wit and determination that would shine through his challenge of being overweight. I also based the fun banter and loving relationship of Coby and his brother Eric around the relationship my two sons share.

DMc: What is your process in creating your storylines? Do you create an outline, free write or other technique?

Joni: Writing picture books and middle grade novels involve different processes for me in creating storylines. For most of my picture books it’s fairly simple - Who is my main character, what does she want, what obstacles get in her way, and how will she overcome these obstacles. Because picture books are short, the storylines are fairly simple, and the entire story is usually told with 500 words or less.

For middle grade novels, I often start off knowing my key characters, my beginning and my ending. I then create a basic outline including secondary characters, specific obstacles my main character will face, how he overcomes these obstacles and the resolution. Often, once I get immersed in the story, the characters take over, so some of my story planning may change, new characters may come into play, and sometimes my beginnings and endings are totally different than I originally planned.

DMc: Do you attend writer’s workshops and conferences? If yes, what do you feel is the most important aspect of attending?

Joni: Yes, I do! I don’t know where I would be without my SCBWI writer critique groups, writer workshops and conferences. I learn and grow so much from my writing community. I actually found my agent at an SCBWI Florida Miami Conference when my first page was read aloud for critique at the “First Pages” opening event. That evening, my wonderful agent, Nicole Resciniti of the Seymour Agency, approached me, told me she loved my story and wanted to sign me. It was a writer’s dream come true.

I can’t stress enough how important it is to belong to a writing community. Networking, information sharing, studying with re-known experts in the field, learning from, speaking with and having manuscripts critiqued by agents, editors and well-known writers are just some of the benefits.

DMc: Please share with our readers your current work-in-progress, your marketing strategy and how to reach you.

Joni: I am currently working on several picture books. One is a rhyming pandemic book, one is a fun STEM picture book, and the others are a mixed hodgepodge of genres and styles. I am also working on creating several musical animated series, and I created a facebook page, Musical Storytime With Miss Joni, which offers original and traditional songs and books as well as craft projects and ideas to help young children and their families get through these difficult times. 

You can learn more about my books, songs and musicals at my website, www.joniworld.com or my facebook pages:

Joni, it’s been an honor to interview and profile you at Write What Inspires You! Wishing you all the very best personally and professionally. I look forward to reading your book, Rainbow of Friendship, at my Facebook Live Story Time on Saturday’s at 9 am EST. 

Congratulations on connecting with your  agent, Nicole Resciniti of the Seymour Agency at the SCBWI Florida Miami Conference. How exiciting! 

Joni: Thanks so much, Donna. It’s been a pleasure. I look forward to viewing your rendition of Rainbow of Friendship!


Interested in staying connected beyond the Internet? Please feel free to opt-in to my Write What Inspires You Newsletter! I promise not to fill your email inbox, for I send out my emails no more than 1-2 times per month.

Opt-in today to the Write What Inspires You! Newsletter and join parents, teachers, and colleagues who receive Donna’s newsletter and receive two FREE e-Books: “The Story Behind the Books” and “Marketing Tips”

#jonihigger
#guardianangelpublishing
#authorinterview
#writewhatinspiresyounewsletter
#picturebooks
#rainbowoffriendship

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Best wishes,
Donna M. McDine
Multi Award-winning Children's Author
Ignite curiosity in your child through reading!


Angel's Forever Home ~ March 2019 ~ Mascot Books ~ 2019 Purple Dragonfly Honorable Mention Picture Books Six and Older

Dee and Deb Off They Go Kindergarten First Day Jitters ~ December 2015 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ 2016 Purple Dragonfly Honorable Mention Picture Books Five and Under and Story Monster Approved

A Sandy Grave ~ January 2014 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ 2014 Purple Dragonfly 1st Place Picture Books 6+, Story Monster Approved, Beach Book Festival Honorable Mention 2014 and Reader's Favorite Five Star Review

Powder Monkey ~ May 2013 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ 2015 Purple Dragonfly Book Award Historical Fiction 1st Place, Story Monster Approved and Reader's Favorite Five Star Review

Hockey Agony ~ January 2013 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ 2015 Purple Dragonfly Book Award Honorable Mention Picture Books 6+, New England Book Festival Honorable Mention 2014, Story Monster Approved and Reader's Favorite Five Star Review

The Golden Pathway ~ August 2010 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ Literary Classics Silver Award and Seal of Approval, Readers Favorite 2012 International Book Awards Honorable Mention and Dan Poynter's Global e-Book Awards Finalist






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank for you taking the time out to visit with me and to learn about my writing career.

Please be sure to leave your blog address so I can reciprocate.

I look forward to visiting you too.