Friday, April 1, 2016

A is for Afraid - #atozchallenge 2016



To kick off the A to Z Challenge I’m focusing on the word AFRAID and in conjunction with the Insecure Writer’s Support Group it’s the perfect way to start day 1.

When we are afraid of change, a particular situation or task at hand we can paralyze ourselves to the point of making no progress. After working as a virtual assistance for the past 17 years and now that my daughters are of high school and college age, I took the steps to spruce up my resume and began combing through the help wanted ads. Believe me I was afraid from the onset, allowing my mind to go to the place why would anyone hire me for a traditional office setting after working solo from the comforts of my own home for so long. After applying to at least a dozen ads I secured four interviews, not too shabby a 33% return of interest. At the time of my second interview with my potential direct report we seemed to hit it off immediately and at the conclusion of the interview I felt positive of the meeting. Happily I received the long awaited phone call and was offered the position as an assistant with The Salvation Army. A year and three months later, I haven’t experienced one day where I have dreaded going to work outside of the home.

Of course, I continue to pursue my writing career with networking through author visits, social media, conferences, and dusting off my long ago shelved work-in-progress. With the steady income and the leisure of writing what I enjoy rather than what will bring instant payment, my writing comes easier to me (at least on most days).

I sometimes wonder where I would be today if I allowed being afraid to stall mate my progress. Through my work at The Salvation Army I have met wonderful and supportive people and enjoy the true sense of “family” in a work environment. I am truly blessed.

A huge THANK YOU goes out to my boss, Lindsay Evans, for taking the chance on me!

What do you do to stop being afraid? I look forward to your comments. Thanks for visiting!

Be sure to visit fellow A-Z Challenge 2016 participants!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Best wishes,
Donna M. McDine
Multi Award-winning Children's Author

Ignite curiosity in your child through reading!

Connect with

Dee and Deb Off They Go Kindergarten First Day Jitters ~ December 2015 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ 2016 Story Monster Approved

A Sandy Grave ~ January 2014 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ 2014 Purple Dragonfly 1st Place Picture Books 6+, Story Monster Approved, Beach Book Festival Honorable Mention 2014, Reader's Favorite Five Star Review

Powder Monkey ~ May 2013 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ 2015 Purple Dragonfly Book Award Historical Fiction 1st Place, Story Monster Approved and Reader's Favorite Five Star Review

Hockey Agony ~ January 2013 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ 2015 Purple Dragonfly Book Award Honorable Mention Picture Books 6+, New England Book Festival Honorable Mention 2014, Story Monster Approved and Reader's Favorite Five Star Review

The Golden Pathway ~ August 2010 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ Literary Classics Silver Award and Seal of Approval, Readers Favorite 2012 International Book Awards Honorable Mention and Dan Poynter's Global e-Book Awards Finalist

35 comments:

  1. Hello from A to Z! I try to recognize that certain things are out of my control but will try my best nonetheless. I'm glad you had a positive outcome by getting your job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cynthia, thanks for dropping by from the A to Z. I'm delighted to connect with you! I agree that some things are out of our control and thanks for the kudos on my job!

      Delete
  2. I think a bit of fear is a healthy thing...it keeps us "on our toes"...aware and alert.
    However, as the quote says, don't let your fear of what could happen make NOTHING happen.
    It's a balancing act.
    What do I do to stop being afraid? There's a quote that sums it up: Your largest fear carries your greatest growth.
    Enjoy the challenge!
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Michelle, thanks for visiting and sharing the quote. So very true! Have a splendid day!

      Delete
  3. You stepped out on faith and were rewarded with a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Donna! I try not to let fear get the best of me, but it can be hard at times. I am working on using the healthy fear to fuel the fire within, so to speak. I am so happy your job is going well and you love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Karin! I know sometimes it's easier said than done! Keep up the great work!

      Delete
  5. This was inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great organization to work for. I am glad you overcame and went for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, my blog address: http://maryanderingcreatively.com/a-is-for-abound/

      Delete
    2. Thanks Mary! The Salvation Army definitely walks the talk! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  7. I know fear is my greatest deterrent, so I often just close my eyes and pretend I'm not. Good way to kick off the AtoZ, Donna. Fearlessly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Closing one's eyes and pretending will definitely set a positive tone! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  8. I don't think I ever stop being afraid. I just do it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for conquering your fears and initiating change after 17 years of sameness. And yay for your boss taking a chance on you! It's awesome that you get to work for a company that you love!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for conquering your fears and initiating change after 17 years of sameness. And yay for your boss taking a chance on you! It's awesome that you get to work for a company that you love!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am familiar with that paralyzing feeling you mentioned. For me, I just have to talk my way through it and force baby steps. If those baby steps are too big, I break it down further until I'm in motion through my fear. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on getting out there. I held the same job for 34 years before retiring to write full time. I don't know if I would have the courage to go back out into the work force.
    Susan Says


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on concluding the 34 years and jumping into full time writing!

      Delete
  13. Fear is something I'm in practice of beating and yet, sometimes it still puts a stop to forward movement. I wish all the best in your new life, a change you choose despite the fear. Congratulations. Thanks for stopping by my blog today!


    Thank you for posting for the A to Z!
    Ninga Minion @YolandaRenee from
    Defending The Pen
    Parallels
    Murderous Imaginings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, being afraid rears it's ugly head from time to time. thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  14. Indeed it's something we convey to our children but we also need that pep talk.
    Hope you have an awesome A to Z month.
    As a children's writer, I always appreciate the heart of those who write for children. All the best to you!
    I'm A to Zing from: Fill the Cracks and Moondustwriter's Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pep talk is always helpful .Thanks for visiting and continued best wishes with the challenge and beyond!

      Delete
  15. I just try to push through it. I'm inspired by your story, though. I'm currently waiting for a call myself. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pushing through definitely brings you to the other. Do you need a push?

      Delete
  16. I try to work through my fears because once I do and I find out it's not so scary, it's easier for me to do something again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it gets easier each time! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

Thank for you taking the time out to visit with me and to learn about my writing career.

Please be sure to leave your blog address so I can reciprocate.

I look forward to visiting you too.