Wednesday, September 3, 2014

It’s Okay Not to Peak in High School by Donna McDine



It’s Okay Not to Peak in High School
By Donna McDine

Now that I have a daughter in the second year of college and another daughter in eleventh grade of high school, I have spent quite a bit of time chatting with my girlfriends as to what all the social pressure in high school means for our children. I’ve come to realize that the clicks still remain… the jocks, the brains, the nerds, etc., but what happens to those that don’t fit into the stereotypes? Do they aimlessly wonder the halls of high school longing to belong to some type of group, or do they break out of the mold and create their own destiny. The pressures are real. By doing so, it can be empowering and frightening at the same time.

As parents or caregivers, it’s our responsibility to set a strong foundation at home that it’s okay for them to be an individual and to stand on their own two feet. By guiding our children to explore all the options presented to them without fear of being ridiculed for their choices has a positive ripple effect through their daily lives. It’s okay not to be the best athlete, the best singer, the best artist, or the best student. Exploring and finding their passion is what will matter after (for some four long years) high school. It’s okay not to peak during these four years.

Most children do not realize while they are in high school, that these years will end up being a small part of their lives. The time to spread their wings is just beginning upon graduation, when so many new and exciting choices of college, work, and/or travel will be presented to them. Let them discover what they may want to do for a career and once they find their calling the amazing transformation will begin before your eyes. 

As for myself, I remember distinctly the anguish of not being the best at something during high school and it took me many years to realize, so what. I’m glad I’m having the best career choices in the last ten years than I ever did before and I’m at my best physical health I’ve ever been.


Encourage your children to be the best they can be with their own expectations and not those of others and watch them soar!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Best wishes,
Donna M. McDine
Multi Award-winning Children's Author



Ignite curiosity in your child through reading!


Connect with

A Sandy Grave ~ January 2014 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ 2014 Purple Dragonfly 1st Place Picture Books 6+, Story Monster Approved, Beach Book Festival Honorable Mention 2014, Reader's Favorite Five Star Review

Powder Monkey ~ May 2013 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ Reader's Favorite Five Star Review

Hockey Agony ~ January 2013 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ Reader's Farvorite Five Star Review

The Golden Pathway ~ August 2010 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc.
~ Literary Classics Silver Award and Seal of Approval, Readers Favorite 2012 International Book Awards Honorable Mention and Dan Poynter's Global e-Book Awards Finalist















6 comments:

  1. Donna, this is so good, well written, well said, and very much needed. Hope you're okay with me sharing it on my FB page. Good job, emma glover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma,

      Thank for stopping by, commenting and lending your support. I appreciate that you FB shared!.

      Best,
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Yeah, high school doesn't make up much of life indeed. Have to let them be themselves, as much more life will come due where they will have to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat,

      I echo your sentiments. Thanks for stopping by and joining in in the conversation.

      Best,
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Well said! High school is just a bunch of emotional baggage that won't last.
    And I was a band geek in high school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex,

      Glad you enjoyed my post! Thanks for visiting!

      Best,
      Donna

      Delete

Thank for you taking the time out to visit with me and to learn about my writing career.

Please be sure to leave your blog address so I can reciprocate.

I look forward to visiting you too.