Friday, June 1, 2007

Writer's Digest Books Writer's Conference - NYC

What a day I had at the Writer's Digest Conference in NYC (the publishing capital of the world)!

The day was filled with a dynamic keynote speech by Jodi Picoult and the day continued with breakout sessions of your choosing throughout the day.

Thanks to Maria Schneider, editor, Writer's Digest magazine; Linda Swanson-Davies, co-editor of Glimmer Train Stories and K.L. Going, Award-winning YA novelist. Each session I walked away with pages of notes that I plan on implementing in my writing.

Lunch consisted of an Address from New York Editors Panel that was very informative.

Writer's Digest had a bookstore setup in the lobby with considerable discounts on WD books and presenting author books.

To add to the excitement of the day an Author Book Signing session was conducted. I was able to obtain authographs for four books:

Christina Katz, Writer Mama (I had corresponded with her about a month ago about her book and had a delightful conversation with her)

Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes (her line was very long and only had a chance for a quick introduction).

Les Edgerton, Hooked (very personable person and spent 3-4 minutes with each person). I started reading his book today and could hardly put it down to post to my blog. Highly recommended reading!

Linda B. Swanson-Davis, The Glimmer Train, Guide to Writing Fiction (attended her session on Pointers, learn about all things related to short stories)

The Pitch Slam went better then I ever expected! I had the opportunity to pitch to two agents and one requested that I send a query and the second requested the first three chapters of the manuscript that I pitched. I'm in the process of fine-tuning my query and going over my first three chapters with a fine-tooth comb and creating my cover letter before I submit.

I met fabulous people throughout the day.

I would highly recommend you attend a Writer's Digest Conference if the opportunity ever presents itself, its well worth the investment in your writing career!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank for you taking the time out to visit with me and to learn about my writing career.

Please be sure to leave your blog address so I can reciprocate.

I look forward to visiting you too.