Friday, May 1, 2009


Children's Bookshelf

New Report Projects Small Decline in Book Sales in ’09

A new report from Publishers Weekly and the Institute for Publishing Research projects soft sales for children’s books through the end of 2010. According to the PW/IPR Book Sales Index, total children’s trade sales totaled $3.16 billion in 2008; that number will dip slightly in 2009, to $3.05 billion, and will hold steady in 2010 at $3.07 billion. The outlook is rosier after that: $3.12 billion in 2011, $3.18 billion in 2012, and $3.24 billion in 2013.

The study estimates 2008 sales of children’s hardcovers at $1.54 billion, with projections of $1.42 billion for 2009, and $1.43 billion in 2010. For children’s paperbacks, the 2008 figure was $1.62 billion, with a flat projection of $1.62 billion in 2009, rising slightly to $1.65 billion in 2010.
See more projections, including breakdowns of categories such as picture books, workbooks and fantasy, in the May 4 issue of Publishers Weekly.



2 comments:

  1. I've noticed that one area we haven't cut back on too much is buying books for our daughter. We still go to the library every week, but I usually buy her a book once a week too. Books are my addiction, but I've cut back on buying them for me. But children's books we still buy, usually opting for the soft-bound not the hard-bound versions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw those numbers recently on a Yahoo Group posting. Sounds like everything will rebound next year though.

    L. Diane Wolfe
    www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
    www.spunkonastick.net
    www.thecircleoffriends.net

    ReplyDelete

Thank for you taking the time out to visit with me and to learn about my writing career.

Please be sure to leave your blog address so I can reciprocate.

I look forward to visiting you too.