Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Write What Inspires You Feature of the Week with Children's Author, Jennifer Gladen


Welcome to today's issue of Write What Inspires You Feature of the Week. I'm pleased to share my recent interview with children's author, Jennifer Gladen...

Jennifer, we first met through Guardian Angel Publishing as follow authors and have remained connected through cyberspace. I’m delighted to hear you continue onward with your writing and publishing journey. Well done my friend. Now on to our interview…

DMc: Do you hold a day job while continuing to follow your writing muse? If yes, what is your career beyond authorship? If not, how do you keep your day structured so you are productive?

JG: Thank you for having me Donna! Yes, I do have a day job. I’ve been teaching Technology to grades Pre-K to 8 for 6 years. They love hearing about my author adventures. Teaching, as many are probably more aware of now, is a very time consuming profession. You have the regular workday, but then there is planning, grading and communicating with families as well. Still, I manage to get writing in as much as possible. I set a time each evening to write for at least an hour. By doing this I wrote 2 more picture book manuscripts and my first novel in the past 6 months.

DMc: Please share the titles, genre, publisher and synopsis of each of your published books.

JG: I have four picture books published through Guardian Angel Publishing.

A Star in the Night, my debut picture book, is a Christmas story about David who makes his way home on Christmas Eve and sees this is no ordinary night. Accompanied by a shimmering star and some tough decisions, David encounters three experiences that will change his view of Christmas forever.







Teresa’s Shadow is a bedtime story featuring Teresa who discovers Corky, a furry visitor in her room. Together they battle their fears in order to Corky get home. 




Angel Donor is a picture book about Olivia, a young child in need of a liver transplant. After waiting several months and close to losing hope, she gets the call she’s been waiting for. We follow her through the process as Olivia and the reader learn what to expect during such a time.



Caitie the Caterpillar is a spring story about the life changes Caitie goes through. t is a beautiful day for milkweed, until Catie the Caterpillar runs into Swift Sparrow. Soon, Catie and her new friend Alexander the Ant, must find a way to escape the hungry bird. As Catie faces Swift Sparrow and her own fears, she begins the process of a beautiful transformation.    


I have another book in the pipeline and can’t wait until I can share more about it.

DMc: Congratulations Jen, on your next book in the pipeline. Looking forward to hearing all about it! 

What is your process in creating your characters? Do you create a profile outline or other technique?

JG: For my picture books I used a questionnaire for my characters. I use it to interview them and see what makes them tick. Usually I have a basic idea of my character while my story is forming, so this helps me flesh them out more. My characters for my novel in progress have a full thorough character profile. They’re older, have more experiences and often times have a lot to say.

DMc: What is your process in creating your storylines? Do you create an outline, free write or other technique?

JG: I have a simple outline for my picture books. It helps to have direction in designing the story. Picture books have a huge story to tell, but in very few words, so organization is key. I also read a lot.

DMc: Do you attend writer’s workshops and conferences? If yes, what do you feel is the most important aspect of attending?

JG: I have participated in workshops and conferences. It is a great way to network with other authors and learn from various skill levels. I also attend webinars and I’m currently a member of the 12x12 Challenge which is a website that challenges writers to create 12 picture books in 12 months. But the real beauty of that website are the webinars, networking, advice and manuscript swaps. In all, my view is never stop educating yourself about the craft.

DMc: Please share with our readers your current work-in-progress, your marketing strategy and how to reach you.

JG: My newest picture book is in the pipeline as we speak. It Noah in Dreamland will be a whimsical story about a child’s dreaming experience. This was a ton of fun to write.

I’m putting some finishing touches on my picture book story Mia and the Magic Yeast. I’m hoping it will be ready to submit soon.

Finally, I have been working on a young adult fantasy novel about a boy, his friends and an addicting game that consumes them all.

My marketing strategy is all about making connections. As a reader myself, I love connecting with the authors, so I try to offer the same thing through my social media channels.

There are several ways to get in touch.

* First – Sign up for updates here. I like to give away freebies such as activities, recipes and coloring pages. I also do book reviews.

                                                    
Jen, it’s been an honor to interview and profile you at Write What Inspires You! Wishing you all the very best personally and professionally. I look forward to reading your books at my Facebook Live Story Time on Saturday’s at 9 am EST.



Interested in staying connected beyond the Internet? Please feel free to opt-in to my Write What Inspires You Newsletter! I promise not to fill your email inbox, for I send out my emails no more than 1-2 times per month.

Opt-in today to the Write What Inspires You! Newsletter and join parents, teachers, and colleagues who receive Donna’s newsletter and receive two FREE e-Books: “The Story Behind the Books” and “Marketing Tips”

#jennifergladen
#guardianangelpublishing
#astarinthenight
#teresasshadow
#angeldonor
#caitiethecaterpillar
#childrensbooks
#picturebooks
#writewhatinspiresyounewsletter
#donnamcdine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Best wishes,
Donna M. McDine
Multi Award-winning Children's Author
Ignite curiosity in your child through reading!


Angel's Forever Home ~ March 2019 ~ Mascot Books ~ 2019 Purple Dragonfly Honorable Mention Picture Books Six and Older

Dee and Deb Off They Go Kindergarten First Day Jitters ~ December 2015 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ 2016 Purple Dragonfly Honorable Mention Picture Books Five and Under and Story Monster Approved

A Sandy Grave ~ January 2014 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ 2014 Purple Dragonfly 1st Place Picture Books 6+, Story Monster Approved, Beach Book Festival Honorable Mention 2014 and Reader's Favorite Five Star Review

Powder Monkey ~ May 2013 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ 2015 Purple Dragonfly Book Award Historical Fiction 1st Place, Story Monster Approved and Reader's Favorite Five Star Review

Hockey Agony ~ January 2013 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ 2015 Purple Dragonfly Book Award Honorable Mention Picture Books 6+, New England Book Festival Honorable Mention 2014, Story Monster Approved and Reader's Favorite Five Star Review

The Golden Pathway ~ August 2010 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ Literary Classics Silver Award and Seal of Approval, Readers Favorite 2012 International Book Awards Honorable Mention and Dan Poynter's Global e-Book Awards Finalist






4 comments:

Thank for you taking the time out to visit with me and to learn about my writing career.

Please be sure to leave your blog address so I can reciprocate.

I look forward to visiting you too.