Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Write What Inspires You Interviews Award-winning Author, Ellwyn Autumn


I am delighted to share my recent interview with award-winning author, Ellwyn Autumn. Be prepared to be inspired!


Ellwyn, it was a pleasure to connect with you via email and through my blog, Write What Inspires You. I’m honored to have the opportunity to interview you.

DMc: Do you hold a day job while continuing to follow your writing muse? If yes, what is your career beyond authorship? If not, how do you keep your day structured so you are productive? 

EA: No, I don’t have a day job anymore. I taught for 20 years and left the profession to pursue my dream of writing full time. I’m so very fortunate and grateful for this opportunity. I don’t want to waste a minute of it. To make the most of my time and stay structured, I create a schedule. I use two different calendars and a notebook with lists of things I need to do. One calendar is strictly for my blog posts, social media shares, written interviews like this one, etc. The other is for author appearances, podcast interviews, and classroom visits. 

DMc: Please share the titles, genre, publisher and synopsis of each of your published books. 

EA: I have 5 published books for children, teen, and YA. I’ll list them in chronological order by release date. I’ve independently published each one under my publishing imprint Angel Kiss Publications. But I’ll state which printing company I used. 


Middle Grade Fantasy 
Lulu/KDP Amazon 

Synopsis: When eleven-year old Patty Pringle answers a help wanted ad, she has no idea that she will be embarking on an adventure that will change her life forever. Patty and her younger brother Sean go to the mall to meet Santa, which is when Sean steals some of the letters that children have sent Santa. Determined to return the letters to Santa, Patty teams up with an elf named Agent 12-25, who takes her to the North Pole. At the North Pole, they discover that it is too late for Santa to deliver the toys that the children asked Santa to bring them. Hoping to save Christmas for these children, Patty and Agent 12-25 set off on a mission to deliver all the toys by midnight on Christmas Eve.  


Children’s 
Bookbaby/KDP Amazon 

Synopsis: Kamyla Chung has a big problem! Every night after her parents turn off her bedroom light, a giant creepy-crawly appears on her wall. When she asks her parents for help, they buy her a nightlight, but that only makes things worse. In the end, they hire an exterminator to get rid of the creepy-crawly once and for all. Will the exterminator be able to help or will the creepy-crawly scare her away? 


Children’s 
KDP Amazon 

Synopsis: Kamyla Chung loves school! Then one day everything changes when a classmate named Nikita begins to disrupt the classroom. Kamyla grows anxious about Nikita's hurtful behavior. It's hard to learn and have fun in school with Nikita constantly misbehaving. One day the two girls have an argument and Kamyla gets hurt. Afterwards, Kamyla learns of Nikita's own struggles. Saddened by the unfortunate news, Kamyla rises to the challenge to help her troubled classmate. 

Teen/YA 
KDP Amazon/Smashwords 

Synopsis: Prepare for adventure aboard the Nevermore! David J. Locke is a would-be journalist with lofty aspirations. Following an incredible lead, he sails the high seas in search of Captain James T. Hook, resolved to uncover the pirate's version of what happened with Peter Pan. Adventure abounds during Locke's travels; unexpected revelations lurk around every dark corner. An old seaman befriends Locke and guides the inexperienced reporter as he learns truths about Hook, he never expected. 


Children’s 
Ingramspark/KDP Amazon 

Synopsis: It’s teatime in the forest! Come along with Teddy and his woodland friends for a lively tea party filled with enchantment and fun. Don’t be late. They’re serving tea promptly at three! 

DMc: What is your process in creating your characters? Do you create a profile outline or other technique? 

EA: Yes, I do a character outline for my characters. Sometimes I’ll take qualities or quirks from people I know or have seen in passing. 

DMc: What is your process in creating your storylines? Do you create an outline, free write or other technique? 

EA: For my storylines, I do a little bit of everything. I’ll start writing, then outline, then write some more. Sometimes my first draft is an elaborate outline. 

DMc: Do you attend writer’s workshops and conferences? If yes, what do you feel is the most important aspect of attending? 

EA: To be honest, no, I haven’t attended any. I’d like to though. It’s a great way to learn new techniques and network with other authors. 

DMc: Please share with our readers your current work-in-progress, your marketing strategy and how to reach you. 

EA: My current work in progress is fleshing out a story called Ivee and Bodie. The title is tentative until I come up with a better one. It’s about a wizarding doctor who works in a hospital. 

My marketing strategy…let’s see. I’m applying what I’ve learned in Lauren Ranalli’s course Think Beyond The Book and Kat Coroy’s Instagram course Instagram Makeover. 

I’m using my brand colors and fonts to create warm and encouraging posts that invite people into my world. 

I also make connections with other authors and help promote their work. Making strong connections with people is sooo important. 

I have a social media presence on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Mewe, Linkedin, Goodreads, Bookbub, Amazon, and Inkitt. Whew, that’s a lot. 

Oh, yeah, I also have two blogs, one on my website www.ellwynautumn.com, and the other is my educational blog lemondropliterary.blogspot.com

I also have two Facebook groups. One is called Kamyla Chung’s Bully Free Zone; the other is Lemon Drop Learning. 

I almost forgot; I do Giveaways five times a year with a group of other authors. 

This helps build up my email list for my newsletter. I try to be active on all these to let the virtual world know where I am. It’s a challenge, but I enjoy it. Sometimes it gets a little overwhelming. When this happens, I take a break. I have a pretty lenient boss. 😉  

You can reach me through my website www.ellwynautumn.com

Thank you so much for having me! 

Ellwyn, it’s been an honor to interview and profile you at Write What Inspires You! Wishing you all the very best personally and professionally. I look forward to staying connected and I’m inviting you to send me your book(s) to read live on a future Story Time Facebook Live on Saturday mornings at 9 am EST.

 

Interested in staying connected beyond the Internet? Please feel free to opt-in to my Write What Inspires You Newsletter! I promise not to fill your email inbox, for I send out my emails no more than 1-2 times per month. 


Opt-in today to the Write What Inspires You! Newsletter and join parents, teachers, and colleagues who receive Donna’s newsletter and receive two FREE e-Books: “The Story Behind the Books” and “Marketing Tips”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Best wishes,

Donna M. McDine

Multi Award-winning Children's Author

Ignite curiosity in your child through reading!


Angel's Forever Home ~ March 2019 ~ Mascot Books ~ 2019 Purple Dragonfly Honorable Mention Picture Books Six and Older


Dee and Deb Off They Go Kindergarten First Day Jitters ~ December 2015 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ 2016 Purple Dragonfly Honorable Mention Picture Books Five and Under and Story Monster Approved


A Sandy Grave ~ January 2014 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ 2014 Purple Dragonfly 1st Place Picture Books 6+, Story Monster Approved, Beach Book Festival Honorable Mention 2014 and Reader's Favorite Five Star Review


Powder Monkey ~ May 2013 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ 2015 Purple Dragonfly Book Award Historical Fiction 1st Place, Story Monster Approved and Reader's Favorite Five Star Review


Hockey Agony ~ January 2013 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ 2015 Purple Dragonfly Book Award Honorable Mention Picture Books 6+, New England Book Festival Honorable Mention 2014, Story Monster Approved and Reader's Favorite Five Star Review


The Golden Pathway ~ August 2010 ~ Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc. ~ Literary Classics Silver Award and Seal of Approval, Readers Favorite 2012 International Book Awards Honorable Mention and Dan Poynter's Global e-Book Awards Finalist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank for you taking the time out to visit with me and to learn about my writing career.

Please be sure to leave your blog address so I can reciprocate.

I look forward to visiting you too.